Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Computers!


I was ready to scream and cry last week. . .

Two weeks ago, my external hard drive crashed.  This was ok, since it was just my backup for all my files.   However, it did have all my digital scrapbooking stuff on it (and I do not have that on my computer because of the size of the files), so last week I took it to a local computer store to have the data backed up and put on a new external hard drive.  I also took the laptop in because lately it has been acting a little funny.  And, we had an older computer crash on us over a year ago.  A friend had told me it needed a new hard drive, so I thought I would take that in as well, so the kids could have their own computer to play on (and I wouldn't have to worry so much about it if something went wrong).  So, all three items were at the computer store--external hard drive, laptop, and older desktop computer.  I was ok with all of this because I still had my main computer that was a little over a year old.  And, all was good with that computer.

Then, last Wednesday night we had a little storm blow through.  There were several little power surges.  All was still ok; however, Friday morning I went to turn on my computer and nothing would happen.  NO power and it would not turn on at all.  I was still ok at this point because I figured that maybe it just had a bad power supply (we had that happen several years ago to another computer).  So, Friday morning, I took the computer in to the computer shop and had to pay a rush fee, so I could hopefully get the computer back that afternoon.  Well, I was not so lucky.  The computer guy called me that afternoon.  BAD News . . . My main business computer did not just have a bad power supply, but it also had a blown motherboard.  The laptop also had a bad motherboard that is about to go (that's why it acts up sometimes).  And, the old desktop that I wanted to fix for the kids had something else wrong.  Basically, all 3 computers were not worth repairing!  The external hard drive was ok and they could retrieve the data from it, but it would take a while because it gets hot and shuts down--so it's a slow process. 

The biggest issue is we desperately need a computer to run our business, and Saturdays I have to do payroll, and it's also near the end of the month (time for invoices).  We also need to respond to customer e-mails and requests.  Well, Friday afternoon we rushed out and bought 2 new computers--one for the business and one for a backup and that the kids can play on.  I then had to take the new computer to the computer shop so they could begin transferring the files from the old computer to the new computer.

We finally got the new computer back late Saturday afternoon.  And, then my work began.  I had to install all the programs (Microsoft Office, Publisher, Quickbooks, etc.), set up the printer and begin locating all the files to make sure everything got transferred.  I'm still searching for some stuff, but most everything appears to have transferred ok, it's just in a different folder than before.  I also had to upgrade our Quickbooks (more $) because our old 2009 isn't supported by Windows 7 (which is on the new computers).  And, I still haven't completed all the installs on the backup computer.

My biggest lesson in all of this is you need one of these!

We had our computers all on surge protectors; however, I have since learned that is not enough.  This is what most likely caused the motherboard and power supply to go.  You really need the battery backup.  So, when there are power surges or the power goes out, the battery backup goes to work and shuts down your computer safely for you.  And, I now recognize the importance of backup.  I was doing my part in that area, but now I think I want to backup my backup!

So. . .

QUICKBOOKS UPGRADE - $200.00
FEES TO THE COMPUTER STORE - $650.00!!! (I could have bought a really NICE computer.)
2 NEW COMPUTERS - $950.00
TOTAL SPENT - $1800.00

But, my pictures of my children are safe, which is PRICELESS!!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...